lichess.org
Donate

Most natural talent ever, living or dead. Fictional time travel tournament 2026. Who wins?

1. Fischer --- No way he doesn't win if he puts in the dedication and work.
2. Mikhail Botvinnik --- I'm a Botvinnik fanboy, but man when he was thirty, he was very good (wins over Capablanca, Euwe, and Alekhine, and likely would have won any world championship match up within that decade). Draws Fischer (+1 -1 =2)
3. Garry Kasparov --- No explanation really needed. Probably loses to top form Fischer and draws Botvinnik.
4. Magnus Carlsen --- Already know how good he is. Loses to top form Fischer (+0 -2 =2), Botvinnik (+1 -2 =1), draws Kasparov (+1 -1 =2).
5. Paul Morphy --- Draws Fischer, loses to Botvinnik, loses to Carlsen, loses to Kasparov.

Anyway, I'm probably way off here, but that's my dream in this scenario LOL
Two scenarios for Bobby

-too many rules, restrictions and trouble for Bobby. He withdraws
-modern medicine discovers his psychosis early and treat him accordingly

In other words: he is out
1. Bobby Fischer
2. Magnus Carlsen
3. Kasparov
4. Botvinik
5.Capablanca

Also, I do think there will be a lot of draws, so writing down a top 5 will be difficult.

Players like Tal and Morphy will lose their style if they learnt deep theory and modern chess.Their dubious sacrifices wouldn't work in a field of strong positional players like Magnus, Fischer,Karpov etc
Suddenly a tall, bearded man appears on the scene. He stands on a table and shouts :

"Cukiertort I am!
Jan Hermann!
Call me Johannes!
I see that you didn't invite me!
But I'm here! I come with my sword! I am! The great swordfighter Johannes! "
Raises his German empire sword.

Everyone else runs. Zuckertort wins by default!
Sultan Khan gatecrashes the tournament and wins by 5 points.

In a natural talent contest, Morphy has to be ahead of Fischer, who I'm imagining tying for third with Vishy Anand, Garry Kasparov and Capablanca.
<Comment deleted by user>
All those „talents“ invested tens of thousands of hours of hard work into their chess career. The myths overlook this deliberately („natural“). Just sayin‘.
Why is Caruana on that list? And Radjabov would get 50% against each field of players. So invite him.

On a serious note: That would be the greatest tourney ever (without Radjabov).
1 Fischer
2 Morphy
3 Kasparov
4 Magnus C. (And i am magnus fanboi)
5 Capablanca

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.